Wednesday 5 December 2012

Blogging Marketing

Blogging Marketing Biography
After two requests in the past four months to trim my résumé (“edit,” is the diplomatic term), I’m wondering why we spend the first half of our careers working to build it up only to be asked, ever so kindly, to cut it down. I’ve trimmed a christmas tree. I’ve trimmed hedges. I’ve trimmed my toenails and my hair. But I’m feeling like I want to hold onto my long, luxurious résumé. I’ve worked hard to grow this thing!
.
One dealer I work with said, “No collector wants to read through that long list.” Another wants my résumé to be the same length as the other artists for the gallery book. “We’ll have the long version for anyone who’s interested.” Uh, I guess that won’t be the collectors.
.
However, after researching the topic for this post, I see that those dealers are not out of line with their request for a short résumé. According to the College Art Association’s guidelines for visual artists: “It is meant to be short and simple to review . . .one to four pages.”.
.
Here are a few definitions that should clarify our work summaries:.
.
Curriculum Vitae, also known as a cv: A summary of one's education, professional history, and job qualifications. (I love this: It’s fom the Latin, the course—i.e. racetrack—of life).

The College Art Association, writing for visual artists, describes the “long cv” as “a framework on which to build” your professional academic history. Visual artists, take note: "Please remember that there is a difference between a curriculum vitae and the artist résumé. The curriculum vitae is a record of all of your professional activities and is intended for use in academic situations. The artist résumé is an abbreviated document that is used in conjunction with commercial galleries, the search for exhibition opportunities, and certain grant applications. It is typically one to four pages in length.".
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
Blogging Marketing
.

No comments:

Post a Comment